Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Evils of Pinterest

Has anyone invited you to join Pinterest yet?  Consider yourself warned - it is highly addictive!!!  As far as time-wasting potential is concerned, facebook has got nothing on Pinterest - and I love it!  I mean, really, where else can you find a recipe for something called "slutty brownies"?  (Well, other than the actual blog, I mean?  But really, Pinterest is so much easier...)  And how could you possibly be able to resist making some when there's a party to attend?  (No idea, as I didn't even try...)  Because really, what says "Happy Birthday Hanna" better than slutty brownies?  Um, nothing - even the birthday girl is in accord, and it's all thanks to Pinterest.
So, if you're wondering what I've been up to, that's about it - lots of pinning, the usual PhD student stuff (if you lose your mind and decide you'd like to know more about content analysis in mass communications research, give me a call), and I'm still trying to figure out the teaching thing (if anyone out there knows how to teach the audit risk model, please divulge your secret - I don't currently have any money, but there may be a batch of slutty brownies in your future...)  Oh, and I went to Hanna's b-day party and had loads of fun!  (On a related note, we should definitely play more board games around here...)  
OK, even though I have confessed to whipping up a batch of slutty brownies (without regret), I have decided not to count that as my recipe of the week - since the goal is actually supposed to be healthy recipes, I'm pretty sure slutty brownies do not come close to qualifying.  And, I admit to cheating a little, because I am partly relying on a recipe I have loved for a while now: Breakfast Fried Rice, from I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy by Chef Devin Alexander, who, btw, also authored The Biggest Loser Cookbook, in case you're interested.  I highly recommend her cookbooks - she has some really great easy recipes using simple ingredients that are both delicious and healthy (the magic combination).  Anyway, I have been craving some Breakfast Fried Rice, and decided that I should find a healthy side dish to serve alongside.  I came up with the Blue Wave Smoothie from Eat What You Love by Marlene Koch (totally love this one, too.  Can you tell I have a teeny cookbook obsession?)


 The best thing about Breakfast Fried Rice?  Only four ingredients!  Also, I totally cheat and use the pre-cooked brown rice (let's be honest, I am much too lazy to make brown rice solely for use in this dish - especially because you only need 1/3 cup).  And, FYI, you only use the egg whites (if you actually had use for the yolks in some other dish, I suppose you could save them - I generally throw them out...)



 The smoothie is also super easy - only five ingredients (fresh blueberries were cheaper, so I used those, but you could always use frozen, or try some other berry of your choice - experimenting is half the fun).



And there it is, your whole meal, really yummy and satisfying, plus it literally takes under 15 minutes to throw together - start to finish!  It's basically the perfect meal, and in the interest of full disclosure, it may be called breakfast fried rice, but I have only ever eaten it for dinner.  If you want to try Breakfast Fried Rice, look here.
As for the Blue Wave Smoothie (adapted from Eat What You Love by Marlene Koch):
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I like greek yogurt)
1/2 cup light grape juice
2 packets Splenda (or one tablespoon granulated Splenda)
1/2 to 3/4 cup crushed ice
Give it a whirl in the fancy blender of your choice!

Oh, I almost forgot the stats:
Breakfast fried rice: 3 Points+
Blue Wave Smoothie: 3 Points+
(Yes, that's a whole meal for 6 Points+... you can thank me later :o)

Until next time, happy pinning!  (Speaking of which, would it be totally wrong of me to pin my own blog post?)
    

2 comments:

  1. Both those look super yummy! I'll have to try them out.

    Also, a little tip I recently discovered - brown rice freezes really well! I like to make a giant 16 cup batch in my rice cooker & freeze it all in ziplock bags. When you're ready to use it you just chip off a chunk, put it in a smaller ziplock with a little water, & pop it in the microwave for a minute or 2. The microwave steams it & it tastes like it's fresh! Just make sure your freezer bags are only filled about an inch thick or it gets pretty hard to break off (I learned that one the hard way). And if you freeze it flat on a cutting board it fits really well in smaller freezers (that's one I discovered while living in that tiny apartment).

    I'm super excited you have a blog & I love the new recipe ideas! Can't wait for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should TOTALLY pin your own blog post! so excited to try breakfast fried rice. sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Followers